Do you want to be sued? What a silly question, what employer wants to be sued or audited- yet too often employers become involved in employment litigation simply because they failed to follow the most basic HR practices. In conversations with both plaintiff and defendant employment attorneys and discussions with KPA’s partner attorneys, I have found the following 5 mistakes seem to be the most common reasons for employment litigation.
1) Asking unlawful questions during the interview
2) Responding inappropriately to requests for leave (ADA, FMLA, Work Comp)
3) Not maintaining up to date policies and handbooks and ensuring all employees are aware of and understand the policies.
4) Poor practices in disciplining employees- inconsistent disciplinary practices, inadequate documentation and incomplete follow up.
5) Unsound termination decisions-employers have the right to terminate employees but not based on discriminatory criteria.
If you are concerned that your HR practices are not quite up to par in any of these areas join KPA on September 23, 2010 for a free webinar “Your Legal Questions Answered”. In this webinar you will have the opportunity to ask national recognized employment attorney, Jim Hendricks, your most pressing HR questions. Hear what HR legal challenges other dealers are facing. You will learn the answers to these questions and more…
- Do salaried employees get overtime pay?
- Can I fire someone when I have never given them a disciplinary warning?
- Do all employees need a job description?
- Should employees be able to see the contents of their personnel file?
- What is reasonable suspicion for a substance abuse test?
You may submit questions in advance using the form on the registration page. You can also ask questions during the webinar. We will not disclose any confidential information, including your name or company information during the Q&A.